Monday, November 17, 2008

Chalk



I had no idea what to expect when we started to watch Chalk. I had heard that it was kind of like the hit TV show "The Office", so I figured that it would be a comedy about teachers in the classroom. It was much more than that. Yes, some of the events that occurred were a little outrageous and hard to imagine actually happening in a classroom, but one common point I seem to hear over and over again about teaching is to expect the unexpected. Maybe those events aren't that unlikely to happen. Chalk takes its viewers in the world of teaching, and the various struggles, encounters, and successes that come along with it. I would classify Chalk as a comedy, but almost all the comedic parts were events that I could see happening in a real classroom. The movie started out with a very bold and somewhat depressing statistic: Half of teachers quit after their first three years. I had no idea about those figures. However, after watching the movie, the viewer can relate and somewhat understand why so many teachers move on to something else. Teaching is very demanding. However, if a teacher has the the right passion, I don't think anything can steer that teacher away from his or her passion.

No comments: