Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Comparing Test Scores Internationally


This past Monday night, October 27, we had the opportunity to listen to and discuss current issues with two Decorah School Board Members. I found it to be very interesting. One topic that I had a strong opinion about before and still do after the discussion is comparing test scores internationally. One of the school board members took the words right out of my mouth. How can we seriously consider test scores from students in the U.S to be an accurate comparison to test scores from students in other countries? There are so many factors that need to be taken into account: length of the school day, extra-curricular activities involved, other test scores, etc. I was in complete agreement with the school board member when he said something along the lines of, "If we wanted our students to score as high as other students from foreign countries, they probably could, but would it be worth it?" He was referring to the amount of time that would have to be dedicated solely to certain subject areas. Some students in other countries eat, breathe, and live school. Whenever they aren't in class, they're studying, or doing something related. I feel so privileged to have been able to participate in so many extra-curricular activities in high school, which included sports, music, student council, and several organizations. I feel that the education I received from participating in these extra-curricular activities provided me with valuable experience that can't solely be taught in the classroom. As a teacher, I would rather help students become well-rounded individuals rather than individuals who are only good at one thing.

No comments: