Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Importance of Parents

The discussion that we had in class on Wednesday, October 1 was one of the most intriguing discussions we have had all year in our educational psychology class. The issues of what kids are exposed to and the importance of parenting are both important to discuss. Children are increasingly being exposed to more and more types of things that are above their maturity level. From music to television and to the internet, children have numerous ways to access things that they may not fully understand. It is almost impossible to prevent children to being exposed to these things. The role that this exposure plays in their life can factor into how they live their lives, but I think it is not a factor more often than not. I believe that this is where parenting comes in. If parents are involved and pay attention to their children's lives, then they should be more of an influence on their children than media. When I was young, my parents always made sure I knew the difference between right and wrong, and they helped me develop my morals as well. Because of this, when I was exposed to things above my maturity level, I could still determine right from wrong, and moral from immoral. I know that parents cannot be with their children 24/7, and I don't think they need to be. Parents can influence their children enough just by making sure they are involved in their children's lives in one way or another. I feel like my parents did a wonderful job raising and educating me. They weren't my best friends. We had our disagreements, but looking back now, I know that they were right, and I know that I am a better person because of them.

No comments: