Sunday, September 28, 2008

Speed Reading Lecture


Earlier this September, a lecture focused on speed reading and improving your study habits was held. I was somewhat apprehensive prior to the lecture, because it was titled "Better Grades in Less Time". Who wouldn't be suspicious about a title like that? However, after being only fifteen minutes into the seminar, I was convinced that this was legitimate. After going through only one of the practice drills for improved reading speed, I more than doubled my reading speed from the beginning of the drill to the end, and my comprehension was just as good. I had no idea how simple it can be to improve reading speed. However, the main challenge to sustaining this improvement is the requirement of practice. The lecturer, Gary Tuerack, advised us to practice our speed reading at least twice a day. It doesn't seem too hard, but it has been one of those things that are easy to push aside and tell yourself you'll do it later. I was very impressed with the lecture, and I am trying to get into a routine of practicing in order to sustain a faster level of reading.

No comments: